2007年8月31日

今週の漢字:

Tea:
I drank more tea within this past month than I have growing up. I basically drink a variety of tea everyday. It has been interesting because the juice is rather expensive compared to America. If I grew up in Japan, maybe I might buy more juice, but because I know it is more expensive when you take into account of proportion, it’s hard for me to buy it. Maybe it’s that American “find the best deal” kind of thinking that is influencing me. Any dairy product is also comparatively expensive. So, this leaves me with tea. I have been enjoying oolong tea immensely. I must say that barley tea is probably the worst that I’ve had so far. It’s so strong that I need something sweet to offset it, which is what I am supposed to do anyway (or so I’m told).

On another note, the English seminar finished earlier in the week. I am happy that it is over, but I am glad that I was able to get something out of it. The best speaker that presented in the seminar was a professor from the Nagoya Institute. She spent her college years abroad in Great Britain and still goes back twice a year, so she had the best command of English. Her focus was to show the Japanese teachers of English, many of whom have sparsely traveled abroad, about the many different standards of English in the world. Probably the most widely known example is the British spelling of “colour” versus the American “color.” Maybe for more immature people, there is a fascination with the eraser being called a “rubber” in Great Britain. A “rubber” for Americans…

I have met with my teaching partners already to discuss the next 2 lessons. The first lesson will be my own self-introduction. Then, we’ll jump into where the students left off before the summer vacation. I will type more about that in the coming weeks. First things first: I had to make a short speech yesterday in the opening ceremony in front of the whole school. I was told that I could basically do whatever I want, so I decided to test the field and do an interactive speech. As I expected, maybe about 1% of the students responded.

“お早うございます。(Some students and teachers respond) 私の名前はモイ・ジャスティンです。新しいAETです。だから… Good morning, everyone. (Only my supervisor responds.) Let’s try it again. Good morning, everyone. (similar response to my greeting in Japanese.) My name is Justin Moy, and as the principal said, I am from New Jersey. (The principal first gave a pretty thorough introduction of me.) I know that Mito High School has classes for French, Chinese, and English. So… who likes French? (Raising my hand while asking) No one. Okay, who likes Chinese? (Same action and a few students put their hands halfway.) How about English? Who likes English? (Foreign exchange students raised their hands and maybe about 3 Japanese students.) Okay, we’ll work on it. How about Japanese? Who likes Japanese? (No one raises their hands.) 日本語が好きですか。(Still, no one raises their hands.) Wow. You don’t really like any languages huh? We'll work on it. I look forward to teaching you all with the other English teachers. Thank you.”

今週の写真: Part 2 from Tokyo.

Hotel Room (shared with 2 other guys)

Scene out the window (right)

Scene out the window (left)

Shinjuku (Maybe outskirts of Shibuya?)

McD's

Karaoke (Look at us foreigners...)

Restaurant called "Watami"

RAW HORSE MEAT! (YUM)

Video game store (look how lively it is)

Shinjuku area

JR Metro

JR Metro map
Food stands! Temptation!

Sign for shinkansen (bullet train)

Shinkansen exterior

Shinkansen interior

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... the ppl there arent really fun are they?? Too much tea -__-
~Hannah

well i think it's fascinating with the whole rubber in great britain and in america, does that make me immature? hmm? [x
- sarah

Anonymous said...

Hah...that layout of the hotel room reminds me of a hotel room from the Boston trip. (Really weird.) Anyhow, good for your tea drinking, I guess. :-)