2008年11月19日

今週の漢字:

Plate:
There is definitely so much on my plate these days! I feel like I’m slowly clearing it, but my effort goes nowhere. When I get really busy like I have been lately, my blog and e-mailing are the first to get the shaft. I love e-mails and I’ve been happy to share my experiences and weekly happenings to whoever cares through my blog.

So what has Justin been up to that keeps him away from the blogging world? For starters, there’s teaching. I’m glad that I’ve been given more freedom and responsibilities this year. It isn’t surprising, for I feel like I’ve earned it, but more work couldn’t have come at a worse time. Don’t get me wrong! I love what I’m doing. The students are lots of fun and I’ve been getting closer to a few teachers. Of course there are problems here and there, but isn’t that all part of life?

Theatre takes up a large chunk of my plate. As usual, I love and hate it. Theatre takes much sacrifice, but it’s always a thrill. I’m directing and producing a play in my area. It’s truly difficult, not just the language barrier, but the administrative side seems so frustrating in Japan. It’s possible my problems are unique to my circumstances and the theatre I reserved. After the play has been performed, I plan to write more on my directing and production duties that have swallowed me up. The performance date will be December 13, 2008.

I feel like I’ve been getting out a lot too. I don’t know why, but it seems like every year at this time, I do lots of stuff including playing host or going to different social functions. (I can’t believe I actually typed “social functions.”) Maybe hosting get-togethers is something I got from my family. I mean my family hosts Thanksgiving dinner for my mom’s side of the family every year since a few years after my sister was born.

I’ve been amused by what the students are focusing on recently… the opposite sex! You might be wondering, “Why now?” That’s a good question. Well, from what I’ve gathered, the thought of Christmas nearing makes them all content if they have a boyfriend or girlfriend. For those who don’t, they get all flustered and worried. As I wrote about Christmas last year, Christmas in Japan is a time for couples to rule the streets.

Now, a bunch of students ask me questions about what kind of girl I like, if I like Japanese girls, and/or if I have a girlfriend. I tell them that I don’t have a girlfriend mainly because I don’t know where the people my age are. It’s funny how often I get nods and gestures of understanding. Do they know something I don’t? I’m not actively seeking for a girlfriend, but it would be nice to at least meet more people around my age.

Getting back on topic, I foresee my schedule opening up big time after December 13th. First, I have to put more emphasis on the second trimester finals, which are fast approaching. Then, I can really put more into the play. After that, it’d be much easier to deal with social gatherings. I count social life activities on my plate, because I have to sacrifice a bit for them. I wonder when I can see most of the bottom of my plate again.

This is actually a double-stuffed post to make up for the past two weekends of no updates. Stay tuned the end of this weekend for another update!

En français:
Il y avait deux problèmes la semaine dernière. Il était un temps mauvais! Mon téléphone mobile s’est brisé et je suis tombé de mon vélo. Après l’accident, j’ai continué aller en vélo. Quand je suis arrivé à la gare de Toyohashi, je suis allé aux toilettes à vérifier que ma tête était bien. Ma tête a saigné! Il n’y avait pas beaucoup de sang, mais je me suis inquiété. J’étais content qu’il n’était pas un accident sérieux.

今週の聖書の詩: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?”
- Matthew 6:25-27 (NIV)

今週の写真: I went to the Toyohashi festival about a month ago. It’s the small city closest to my town. I hope you like the pictures and video, especially the picture of the minced WHALE I ate!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck with your play bro!

What does whale taste like?

~ Jay

Anonymous said...

"There were two problems last week. It was a bad time! My mobile phone broke and I fell off my bicycle. After the accident, I continued to go by bicycle. When I arrived at the station of Toyohashi, I went to the toilets to check that my head was well. My head bled! There was not much blood, but I worried. I was content that it was not a serious accident."

Hmm...looks like misery loves company, which in this case was adding a literal injury to insult. Yeah, hold on until Dec. 13...you're fully capable of enduring, so don't give up!

~ curtiss