2008年2月24日

今週の漢字: 機会

Opportunity:
It’s frustrating when people say something like this to me: “How are you? It must be better than my life with all the excitement you have of being in a foreign country… I’m jealous.” It’s nauseating for me to listen to this balderdash. Okay, it’s not as nauseating compared to when people say, “S/he is the one,” or even worse, “S/he completes me.” I think this is an appropriate time for me to mention these awful lines as right after Valentine’s Day it is usually within a matter of weeks, sometimes days, when people make such ridiculous claims. Most of the time, these relationships end quickly, but anyway, I digress.

If you want to travel around the world, do it! Do what you are passionate about (in many cases)! If you want to teach English in a foreign country, there are many opportunities. The JET Program is only one of the numerous options out there. There are programs for other countries too. I think the JET Program is one of the better ones out there because of the good salary for working as an assistant teacher, and there is a social network that comes with the package. I don’t mean to advertise for the JET Program. Okay, I lie, but I want to point out that there are ways to work in another country, if you want to do it.

Stick to your choices! I may not be the most practical considering my career goals include entering into one of the most competitive occupations (drama) and traveling the world among others. I decided to come to Japan, because I felt it was the best time to try and experience another culture. Will I stay in Japan forever? Probably not, but I am not totally opposed to the idea as long as an opportunity that interests me enough comes my way. Will I go to graduate school? Probably not, because I eventually plan to audition and live on creating works of art. However, if my path changes to something like psychology, then I would go to grad school. Is it silly for me to live this way? Possibly, but I feel that as long as I am walking down the path that is set for me, it’ll work out. I expect very difficult times, but I also expect joyous times.

I do not want to live for money, nor do I want to live for the sake of work. I want to create art for the sake of creating art. I want to help where I can. I want to see and experience what I can and what I want to an extent. How much to an extent? I will only let it go as far as it extends based on my beliefs and way of living. I am not trying to endorse “fighting the system,” because I know that we are also bounded by society. On the contrary, I am endorsing to work with the system to fulfill your passion in life.

Do not say corny lines like the cringe-inducing ones I mentioned earlier in regards to your boyfriend or girlfriend. Just don’t, otherwise you deserve a slap from me. However, in all seriousness, do not be blinded by the world and society!

Stay tuned next week for another update!

今週の聖書の詩: “Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.”
- Psalm 27:11 (NIV)

今週の写真:



Setsubun - This was on 2/3 and people throw beans to chase away the devil and let happiness and fortune in.

Snow in Akihabara! This is the first time I saw snow stick in Japan.

Homeless - look how organized...


I just felt like I had to take this picture. I couldn't believe this was in a museum. Can you proofread it? I hope so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA!!! That is true about people though and even though I can amit that i havent done that I would like to think im thinking about the same thing in the future for me but at times i feel i dont have enough time to do the things i want to do but who knows im not going into thinking about that but we will see what will happen

Cal

Anonymous said...

Wow look at those tidy cardboard boxes!

Anyways, yeah i suppose when opportunity knocks on your door, you should answer it...or just build your own door, if you want to...

P.S. --BALDERDASH !!!...how did that word get into your lexicon?

-curtiss