2007年6月9日

今週の漢字: 言語

Language:
It is amazing that there are so many different cultures in the world. Communication is such an important part of society especially vocal communication that there is no wonder as to why each culture has its own distinct language. I find it fascinating to look at the evolution of languages. For example, there is the evolution from Latin to the romance languages. A friend once pointed out similarities between English and Chinese whereas Japanese and Korean are sort of reversed. Of course for someone who learned Japanese and/or Korean first, it would be English and Chinese that seems to be reversed. Maybe my friend was wrong or maybe my memory is wrong, but oftentimes it’s all about perspective, right?? I mean how one views something comes from past experiences.

I hope I am able to help with the English teaching and really find ways for the students to learn effectively. I am very excited, but I also have some anxiety as I don’t want to be a bad teacher. I want to be able to build a mentor relationship with my students and have a good rapport with the teaching staff.

I recently heard from my predecessor and found out where I’ll be going. I’m cutting my blog short, for next week I’ll post an extra long post.

Stay tuned next week for a continuation of my preliminary thoughts on teaching and specific placement information!

今週の写真: In light of this new information this week, here’s a picture of the town.

Source: http://town.mito.aichi.jp/sight/page/mnt_mito/mount_03.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, language is a very enriching part of our everyday lives, with its many complexities. I did not know that about the Chinese/English connection. But, I'm a bit confused with the whole reversed Japanese/Korean aspect.